A private members club for men only was founded in 1895 called the Wesley Road Liberal
Club. The club has grown considerably over the years and membership is now open to
all. The club has no political affiliations.
The Club was founded in 1895 by a group of Liberal gentlemen from the Gloucester
Road and Wesley Road area of the town. The aim was to provide a meeting place for
working class men of the area who supported Liberal political views. It also aimed
to provide educational support for its members by providing books, newspapers and
talks. It was a club only for men and was closely controlled by the committee The
Club thrived over the years, with fetes, air rifle range, children's parties and
suppers, with ladies being allowed to come and help with the children's parties.
The club reached its peak in the sixties when Saturday nights were standing room
only and there was a waiting list to become a member
The Club no longer holds any political affiliations and the men only rule was dropped
many years ago. Today the ladies hold equal membership with the men and serve on
the committee and act as officers of the club.
Today the Club is still active and has a healthy, growing membership, but there is
always room for new members. We are constantly improving the Club. In in December
2014 we made improvements to the car park including the provision of disabled parking
The club takes an active part in the local community. Meetings of the Newtown Area
Residents Association are held in the club, and the car park is used by Newtown School
and local Churches. The PHAB and Archway Clubs also meet on the premises
Bingo with a snowball is held on Sunday and Wednesday nights, doors open at 7pm,
eyes down at 8pm. Alternate Fridays there is Ballroom Dancing in the hall (see the
calendar for details). On Saturdays there is normally live music in the bar. Each
December we hold a Christmas Draw with tickets on sale in the bar.